The fight against duality…We Ponder…We resist…for this Reason it will never end. Duality was ineluctable after the dawning of human self-consciousness. We became aware of the person. This person was suddenly witnessing itself, the world and the universe from a perspective of self-awareness. Humankind took the first step which as separated us ongoing from life consciousness. The use of the word “Suddenly” above represents a period of 900,000 years; give or take a few hundred thousand. 🙂
Duality became a building block of our individual and collective development. But how did this happen? Might we say that the human species welcomed duality. Was or is duality essential to the evolution of humankind? I definitely cannot answer this question. Is dualism necessary for the further development of humankind? Here again I feel it is not possible to answer this question. Lets us consider a few definitions and aspects of duality / dualism.
Duality is defined as:
– A dual state or quality. The quality or condition of being dual.
– An instance of opposition or contrast between two concepts or two aspects of something; a dualism.
– Masculine and feminine are considered an aspect of duality. Why do we insist that this is true; other than the biological reproduction functions. The duality evident in our species biological reproduction is the result of evolutionary processes. We could have also evolved in a manner that would allow us to reproduce parthenogenesis or a process similar to this in plants is apomixis. Hopefully I have not misinterpreted these two areas of reproduction for use in our discussion.
– Duality could be considered the nature by which anything and everything has opposing truths. This would indicate that all are then true.
– Nagarjuna, Buddhist teacher and philosopher taught the idea of “emptiness” to avoid the conflict of dualism.
– Buddhism teaches the philosophy that there are lower and higher truths. This allows duality to be accepted as a “lower truth”.
An interesting consideration for our discussion would be the Buddhist practice of “suchness”. Tathata, which means “suchness”. Some people also use the word “as-is-ness” to describe Tathata. Tathata “thusness” is sometimes used as word which means “reality”. We could say “it is the way things are”. It could be said that suchness is neutral. Oneness or duality is not practiced in suchness. Everything simply is as it is. I sense that this philosophy would be useful in our existence. The idea of “suchness” is the closes to nothing that is everything that is not truly possible to explain as nothing or everything.
I wish to end this article with an excerpt from the Tao Te Ching. It may be familiar to you. It vibrates with the philosophy of suchness. Lao Tzu may not have been considering “suchness” when he wrote the Tao Te Ching. Still Chapter One harmonizes with the insight given us through existing in a state of “suchness”.
Tao Te Ching
Tao (The Way) that can be spoken of is not the Constant Tao’
The name that can be named is not a Constant Name.
Nameless, is the origin of Heaven and Earth;
The named is the Mother of all things.
Thus, the constant void enables one to observe the true essence.
The constant being enables one to see the outward manifestations.
These two come paired from the same origin.
But when the essence is manifested,
It has a different name.
This same origin is called “The Profound Mystery.”
As profound the mystery as It can be,
It is the Gate to the essence of all life.
Best wishes to everyone
P.S. The video clip from Sadhguru considers mind thoughts and existence. His discussion is reflective of duality in regards to our existence.